A crackling fire in the fireplace can make a room feel warm, cozy, and bright. However, any open flame poses a potential risk of property damage or injury if the fire gets out of control. This risk is manageable if you are diligent about observing fireplace safety at all times.
1. Get the Fireplace Inspected and Cleaned
Before using your fireplace for the first time, you should have it inspected to be sure that it is safe and up to code. If it is not, you may require fireplace renovation Fort Collins CO before it can be used safely.
Ash, soot, and creosote can build up in your chimney, posing a fire risk if the buildup should ignite. To prevent this from happening, you should have your fireplace cleaned at least once a year. You should also clean out the grate itself frequently.
2. Beware of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is released from burning fuel. If it does not have a sufficient escape route, it can build up in your home. You may not realize that you are breathing it in because it is invisible and odorless. Carbon monoxide can prevent the tissues of your body from receiving enough oxygen.
If possible, leave a window in the room open when you are using your fireplace to allow fresh air to circulate. Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house and test them frequently.
3. Have a Fire Extinguisher Handy
If a fire does get out of hand, a fire extinguisher may be able to put it out. Keep it near the fireplace and be sure that everyone in the family knows how to use it in an emergency.
It is important to act fast with an extinguisher if necessary because fire spreads quickly. If it gets beyond your control, get out of the house and call emergency services.