Chimney fires are a real danger. They occur more commonly than you may think, especially in the colder months. A chimney fire isn’t just a nuisance; your whole structure can catch on fire and burn down.
If you are unsure about the safety and condition of your chimney, you would be wise to seek professional help. Contact a quality professional chimney service Washington DC.
Chimney Fires: A Real Danger
Perhaps you have never seen or experienced a chimney fire. Once lit, they can behave like an explosive blowtorch, with flames, sparks, and dense smoke shooting out from the top of the chimney, often accompanied by a loud roaring sound. The remainder of your home or property can catch fire very easily. It is not something to fool around with.
According to some statistics, over 25,000 chimney fires occur in the United States each year. Indeed, they are responsible for well over 100 million dollars of property damage.
The main cause of chimney fires is a buildup of creosote. Creosote is a tar-like black or dark brown residue that accumulates from repeated burning in your fireplace. It accumulates on the inside of the chimney walls when the burning of oils and waxes in wood fuel is not complete. If it builds up sufficiently, it can catch fire and cause a chimney fire.
How To Prevent a Chimney Fire
The best way to prevent a chimney fire is to keep the interior of your chimney neat and clean. Creosote especially is the main culprit to be concerned about.
If you use your fireplace for heating or simply for cosmetic appearance, it is a good idea to get your chimney inspected annually. A certified chimney specialist can take care of the issue for you. Don’t put it off; your safety is important.